You can make up a total of three (3) absences within the semester by checking out a heart rate monitor to use outside of class. Monitors are available for out-of-class checkout on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8 am and 2 pm from the TIGER Office in room 417 in the Ryals building. Monitors must be returned by 3:00 pm the same day. Failure to return your heart rate monitor by 3:00 pm the same day will mean you will not get credit for your out-of-class workout.
- You may not reserve a monitor ahead of time.
- You may not check out a watch on behalf of your friend(s).
- An out-of-class workout should follow the exact same format as we do in class, i.e. five minutes of warm-up, thirty minutes of exercise within your own training heart rate zone, and five minutes of cool-down.
- You will be responsible for knowing how to set your own heart rate zone limits and to operate your heart rate monitor correctly.
- Just as with your in-class workouts, if your workout session does not record properly or you do not work out within your own heart rate zone for thirty minutes, you will not get credit for the workout.
- You should make up your absences as soon as you return to class following an absence.
Weekend Fun Runs
- You may check out a heart rate monitor on a Friday to use for weekend fun runs or similar distance charity events only.
- You are still required to complete 30 minutes in your training zone during the weekend event.
- A photo of you competing in the fun run event should be sent to Dr. Bray (firstname.lastname@example.org) following the event.
- Only one event per weekend day is allowed.
- Monitors must be returned on Monday in class – DO NOT USE AN OUT-OF-CLASS MONITOR FOR AN IN-CLASS WORKOUT.